Modern Foreign Languages
In this section, the Modern Foreign Languages department provides an overview of the KS3 and KS4 curriculum and resources to aid revision and support progress.
Mrs C Njikang
Leader of MFL
Miss S West
Miss C Willows
Mrs C Stokes
|Mr A Simpson
All students on entry in year 7 study French and are now expected to do so up to GCSE level. All students are assessed in listening, reading, writing and speaking skills throughout the 5 years course according to the MFL thresholds.
Homework for all year groups is set on ‘Show My Homework’ and is designed to support and develop the learning that is taking place in lessons. Homework is set on a weekly basis. This is aimed to further develop understanding in French. This could sometimes be an online quiz, a spelling revision for a test or writing an extended paragraph (approximately 150-200 words) in French on specific topics. Students are also required to revise for assessments/exams in listening, reading, writing and speaking.
We use a variety of resources to further knowledge in and outside the languages classroom.
- Expo 1 French (published by Pearson) for year 7s
- Expo 2 French (published by Pearson) for year 8s
- Studio GCSE Foundation (published by Pearson) for year 9s
- Studio GCSE Foundation and Higher (published by Pearson) for year 10s
- Studio GCSE Foundation and Higher (published by Pearson) for year 11s
- GCSE Kerboodle (online textbook by Oxford Press for years 9, 10 and 11)
- EXAMPRO (students have access to this learning platform found on RMUnify. Their login is simply their first and last name and their date of birth)
Important information for parents
We also organise trips to France each year as we believe learning a language is more beneficial if the pupil also has an awareness of the cultural ethics behind the language they are learning. Year 8s visit in October half-term and year 9, 10 and 11 visit in February half-term.